One month into my year’s adventure and the thrill of travelling solo has lost some of its glamour.

My first two weeks in Bali, apart from getting sick, were fine. In Ubud, I hung out with nice interesting people. Here in Sanur the vibe is very different. Most of the hotels cater for older couples. I’ve noticed very few people travelling solo. They might stay for a couple of days and then move on. I’ve shifted hotels from last week, as the first one was noisy. One night I had a group of men smoking and talking outside my room at 1am!

I’m staying at a hotel, the other end of the beach. It’s very quiet with only a few restaurants on this stretch of beach. Less tourists are coming now, the trees are dropping their leaves and its becoming more humid (if it were possible), so I guess Bali is hitting the low season.

I keep busy in the daytime writing. Since I’ve been in Sanur I’ve planned, plotted and nearly finished a rough draft of a romance. Not bad going! It shows how quiet it is!

I’ve realised I don’t like eating alone.  At home, it never bothered me. Why? Maybe because I watched the news on TV3 while I ate.

I don’t know why it does here, but it does. I sit at a table for two with my Kindle, start to read, order some food, eat while reading, and cast envious glances at couples dining together.

Perhaps that feeling will change in time.

Before I left NZ, I was encouraged by a travel doctor to spend over NZ$300 on anti-rabies injections for the rabid monkeys of Ubud. According, to the doctor if I was unfortunate to sustain a rabid monkey bite, I would need to be repatriated to NZ for a plasma transfusion. My imagination went into full flight. I visualised an early return to Auckland and a week in hospital. So, I paid and had the injections. Three of them over three weeks.

The monkeys are revolting creatures, baring their teeth and picking up rubbish from the street. I was more concerned about fleas, than bites! We paid for a guide to escort us through the forest. If a monkey came near us, the guide whipped out his catapult and brandished it. The monkey would hiss and run away. It was only a couple of dollars for a guide, and well worth it. I’ve heard of monkeys stealing hats, glasses and phones of unsuspecting tourists.

In Ubud, my hotel window overlooked a rice field. Every day from 10am to nightfall three women, who must have been in their 60’s worked non-stop harvesting the crop in the hot sun. Hard, tough, back breaking work. It made me feel grateful I live in NZ!

This Thursday, I’m off to Goa for a meditation and yoga retreat. Not quite sure I’ll be up for the yoga, as I still have a bad back.

See you next week.



Comments are closed.

Want to keep up with Jaye on her travels?
Get the latest content first.
We respect your privacy.